16.2.10

CNY Spirit?

While it has always been so for the larger population, it has never been overly merry and noisy reunion dinners for me, nor was it ever millions of relatives to visit. Was never large red lanterns, hundreds of ringgit in ang pow collection, endless card games, reconnecting with ex-classmates and friends, firecrackers, " lou yee sang", no it was never ever any of these.

True, mine is more than a tad bit dull at times and I do compare and complain about it. Why is it that I have at recent years not been able to indulge myself or my family in any of this annual festive spirit? I do compare the amount of money collected in ang pows, the fun others have with their extended families and friends.

Deep inside I do still understand that despite the fact that my Chinese New Year is not what I idealistically envision it to be, what I do have are people who love me. Sometimes it is so easy to let dissatisfaction and bitterness reign that I overlook the fact that I have 2 loving parents and a supportive sister, who I know, will always there for me. Or even the countless number of friends I know I can always turn to, one or two who are and will always remain closer to my heart than any other human beings will ever get, among whom one even is seemingly God-sent!

Now I truly know what these festive seasons are really about, its when you really take time to reflect the love and blessings that God has showered so bountifully upon you, in the form of family, friends, loved ones. No longer will it be only about material stuff and fun for me or what I missed that others have. I see now that what is more lasting is the relationships one build up through everyday living and not just the ones during festive seasons.

Love trumps money.
Love trumps food.
Love trumps entertainment.
Love trumps everything.

I have love. What more can I ask for.


No comments:

Post a Comment